We all strive to be happy, right? But you know just how easy it is to be unhappy. I mean there are sufficient reasons each day to make us upset, things that affect us negatively and make being happy a pretty hard thing to achieve.
Is it possible to be happy in spite of what comes our way? I think it is. True, this is easier said than done. However think about it: if you choose new thought processes now and practice them daily, you will soon find it easier and more natural to adopt a cheerful disposition, in spite of!
Happy people make the choice to ignore the things that are counterproductive to their positivity. Here’s how:
1. Ignore other people’s judgment. People around you will always have their own opinions about your life decisions and on how you should handle a particular situation. There’s no point paying attention to that as you make the decisions that you think will give yourself the biggest chance of happiness, fulfillment and success – and only you knows what’s most likely to help you get there. Of course, you may make mistakes along the way, but mistakes are learning opportunities.
2. Don’t compare yourself with others. It’s a good thing to look up to other people for inspiration, we all need a hero. However, don’t let this make you feel small or insignificant because you’re not. You are unique. Rather than compare yourself with others, focus on how you can continue learning and growing to become all you can be.
3. Stop fretting about things you cannot change. It’s quite easy to fret about things that are beyond your control. This however is a waste of your energy as it will only make you more frustrated. Instead, focus your energy on the things that are in your power to change. Have you lost your job, or is your business going through a rough patch? Rather than panic about how you will pay your bills, think about how to keep yourself meaningfully engaged, how to manage your costs and perhaps how to start all again.
4. Accept that you’ve got to work hard to get to your goals. You probably have heard of the saying, “No pain, no gain.” This adage is true in more ways than one, especially when it comes to working towards your goals. It is said that the best things in life are often the ones you work the hardest towards. Be ready for the hard work and enjoy the journey towards your success.
5. Face your fears and embrace challenges. Having fears, doubts and different insecurities within you is entirely normal. Determine what you’re afraid of and use your imagination in a more positive way to deal with your fears. Choose to embrace the challenges around you and see them as opportunities to learn and grow.
Happy people too face challenges daily, but they choose not to focus on them. Instead, they let go of the things that weigh them down and forge ahead with a smile on their faces.
Copyright ©2014 David Waweru